Relive the events through our dedicated blog below:
– Military declare martial law and curfew
– Coup believed to be instigated by Fethullah Gulen as a last gasp attempt at power following Erdogan’s decision to retire pro-Gulen army officers.
– Commander of the first army divison, biggest division in Istanbul:
‘The army does not support the coup’
– Chief Admiral Bostanganoglu:
“We certainly do not condone or support this coup attempts.”
– Erdogan calls on people to take to the streets in protest at the attempted coup
– Pro-Erdogan protestors take to the streets in Istanbul, Ankara, Vaan, and Gaziantep
– Military withdraw from airport
– Reports of divisions within the army between Erdogan loyalists and perpetrators of the coup
– Erdogan and Abdullah Gul address media via facetime. Davutoglu speaks to foreign media.
– Erdogan points to Fethullah Gulen as the orchestrator of the attempted coup stating: “this country will not be run from Pennsylvania”